Monday, October 23, 2006

Is it Art or History?

The Seattle Art Museum (SAM) is currently expanded its facilities to include the Olympic Sculpture Park. It's located down on the waterfront bordered by Western Avenue, Broad Street, and Elliott Bay. I used to go this way to work so I could take Hwy 99 instead of I-5, but have avoided the area both since I started working in Kent and construction started on the Park. Well, this morning on a whim (i.e. I was running late and wanted to avoid the Denny disaster getting to I-5), I decided to take this route. There is now a huge pedestrian bridge over the Western and large banks of earth on either side of the road. The park is scheduled to open in January, so I wasn't expecting to see any installations yet. However, while waiting for the light to turn green this morning I looked up and saw this:

Art or History?

(Sorry for the crappy quality. I snapped this from the car with my cameraphone.)

I had to look at this for a few seconds and reach way back to realize what this was. A giant Typewriter Eraser! When I got to work, I did a couple of searches and found that it must be this piece by Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen. It was probably donated by Paul Allen. When I saw this piece silhouetted by the morning light, I couldn't help but laugh out loud. I absolutely love it, but will anyone under 30 even know what this is?

This is definitely one of the things I love about living in Seattle. You never know what you're going to see around the next corner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow? Even I have not seen one of those in a few years. What a flashback. I clicked on the picture to try to enlarge it to get a better view and found a different website with more pictures you had not shared.
Your Mama still loves you.