Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Morning rituals

Now that Abigael is sleeping in her "big girl" bed, she likes to wake up at ungodly early hours. This morning she beat my alarm clock and was up just before 5:00 am. Thankfully we've just about trained her to stay in her room and play quietly until we can at least clear the fog enough to get up with her. This morning she did well and stayed in her room, but kept herself occupied by singing and talking very loudly. After a few minutes she began to call out for mama, daddy and milk. I got up, poured a sippy cup for her and took it in. She sweetly looked up at me from her bed, grinned and said "Tank you, Mama." I tucked her back in and asked her to please rest a while longer so her Daddy could sleep. "OK, Mama." I shut her door behind me and went to take my morning shower. Ten minutes later I headed down the hallway toward the kitchen for the all-important first cup of coffee. Just as I passed Abigael's bedroom door, I heard her doorknob click behind me. I slowly turned around and saw a hand, holding her sippy cup, emerging from the door frame. The hand paused for just a second and then dropped the cup to the floor. The tiny hand pulled back into her room and the door closed behind it. I stood there for a few seconds just dumbfounded. Between the giggles I fought to hold back, all I could think was " What is this? Room service?" I don't think I've ever felt more like a maid in my own home.
Well, at least she stayed in her room and I had some peace and quiet for a little while longer...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The important thing was she stayed in her room. Mama & Dada might just survive the terrible twos.
Love you, Mom P.

Anonymous said...

I can't stop laughing!! How hilarious is that. Only Abigael would do such a thing as this. Glad you all are getting a few more hours of sleep. Ha, ha, ha, ha.............
Love, Mom L.

Anonymous said...

ROTFLMAO........... That's my grand daughter all right. :)
I am glad to hear that you have her staying in her room now. It makes me feel much better that she will have less chance of getting into something bad for her. That should give Daddy a couple of extra minutes... yeah, right! Love to all, Dad