Sunday, November 05, 2006

Book Meme

WooHoo! My first meme. I'm in the club now! Rob over at Popcorn tagged me with this book meme last week. I spent a couple of days thinking about it and then got distracted with work, so I'm a little tardy in posting it. It was a lot harder than I thought to go back through time and my memories and recall the possibly thousands of books I've read over the last thirty years. I'm sure later I'll remember something I should have included, but for right now, here goes nothing!

1) One book that changed your life:
I thought a long time about this one in particular and came up with nothing. I'm pretty stubborn and independent by nature, I couldn't think of a single book that "changed" my life, but I could think of several that have stayed with me and influenced my interests over the years.
Going back to my youth (sort of, this book has followed me to every place I've lived), One Monster after Another by Mercer Mayer. I still refer to storms as Typhonigators. The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck. You have to read the trilogy to fully appreciate the storyline, but this was my first introduction to Asian culture and drove me towards reading a lot about the history and beauty of that part of our world. I can't recall where my love of science fiction specifically started, but I'm thinking it was just a natural progression from Nancy Drew to Madeleine L'Engle(A Wrinkle in Time) to Stephen King to Piers Anthony and beyond.

2) One book that you read more than once:
Just one? These are some of my standbys: 1984, almost all of the Anne Rice novels several times each, most of Stephen King's early books, Stranger in a Strange Land, the Bio of a Space Tyrant series...the list of old friends could go on and on.

3) One book you’d want on a deserted island:
Could go one of two ways on this one. In the spirit of the question, I'm torn between a sentimental favorite and a logical choice. The Little House on the Prairie books by Laura Ingalls Wilder for guaranteed enjoyment and escapism or the Bible for the enough variety and mental challenge to last a long time. OR I could go the easy way out and chose something like Primitive Wilderness Living & Survival Skills: Naked into the Wilderness.

4) One book that made you laugh:
There must have been a few, but I honestly can't think of very many. I tend to like my TV funny and my books more serious. One series of books does come to mind though it is a little obscure but totally hilarious in its satire: Bill, the Galactic Hero by Harry Harrison (and the sequels.) Funny stuff for sci fi.

5) One book that made you cry: I tend to actively avoid anything that might make me cry, but every once in a while something will sneak up on me.
Bridge to Terabithia. I think I read this book in the third or fourth grade and it haunts me to this day. The story of two unlikely friends who forged a beautiful bond that ended in tragedy. It still makes that sad place in my soul very heavy and it's been 25 years.

I picked up The Time Traveler's Wife on a whim because I was itching for a new book and it sounded interesting. I try not be be a sucker "popular"books, but I thought "what the hell?" I am so glad I did. It was not what I expected at all. The fascinating plot and great presentation, totally made up for making my eyes tear up.

6) One book you wish you’d written:
Any book. Great aspirations, but no follow-thru.

7) One book you wish had never been written:
I'm probably going to burn for this one, but I'm choosing Catcher in the Rye. I just don't get it! I've read it at least three times. Each time with a few more years of life experience to draw on and I still don't understand the big deal . Besides, if it hadn't been written, there might be a few more people with us, instead of being victims of senseless acts of violence.

8 ) One book you’re currently reading:
How many books am I not reading right now? I'm going through a phase where I have a lot of interest but not enough energy. I'm really bad for picking up a book at the airport for a flight, reading it for the duration of the trip, and then forgetting about it once I get home. It's like an addiction, I wonder if there's a name for it. Half-read books currently on my nightstand: Christ the Lord (autographed at a book signing last year), Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, The Andromeda Strain, and Intensity.

9) One book you’ve been meaning to read:
See above list. Oh, the list is much longer.

10) Tag five people: ummmm....I'm a totally loser and don't have any blog friends to tag. So if any of my four readers feel like chiming in, go for it!

---OK, it looks like I put a lot more effort into this than was intended. "ONE book...." Oh, well. It was a fun trip down memory lane and I even ran across a few more books I'd like to read.

1 comment:

Christie said...

Yes we did. Seventh grade English class. That's the year we met, isn't it? Wow, that was a long time ago...

Good old Warren, there's a blast from the past.